The Ancient Library
 

Scanned text contains errors.

On this page: Vfllicus

VILLA.

road) to a too frequent influx of visitors. The villa attached to a large farm had two courts (cohortes, cJiortes, cortes, Varro, i. 13). At the entrance to the outer court was the abode of the villicus, that he might observe who went in and out, and over the door was the room of the procurator. (Varro, L c. ; Colum. i. 6.) Near this, in as warm a spot as possible, was the kitchen, which, besides being used for the preparation of food, was the place where the slaves (familiae) assembled after the labours of the day, and where they performed certain in-door work. Vitruvius places near the kitchen the baths and the press (torcular] for wine and oil, but the latter, according to Columella, though it requires the warmth of the sun, should not be exposed to artificial heat. In the outer court were also the cellars for wine and oil (cellae vinariae et oleariae), which were placed on the level ground, and the granaries, which were in the upper stories of the farm-buildings, and carefully protected from damp, heat, and insects. These store-rooms form the separate villa fructuaria of Columella ; Varro places them in the villa rustica, but Vitruvius recommends that all produce which could be injured by fire should be stored without the villa.

In both courts were the chambers (cellae'] of the slaves, fronting the south ; but the ergastulum for those who were kept in chains (vincti) was under­ground, being lighted by several high and narrow windows.

The inner court was occupied chiefly by the horses, cattle, and other live stock, and here were the stables and stalls (bubilia^ equilia^ ovilia).

A reservoir of water was made in the middle of each, court, that in the outer court for soaking pulse and other vegetable produce, and that in the inner, which was supplied with fresh water by a spring, for the use of the cattle and poultry.

2. The Villa urbana or pseudo-urbana was so called because its interior arrangements corresponded for the most part to those of a town-house. [house.] Vitruvius (vi. 8) merely states that the description of the latter will apply to the former also, except that in the town the atrium is placed close to the door, but in the country the peristyle comes first, and afterwards the atrium, surrounded by paved porticoes, looking upon the palestra and ambulatio.

Our chief sources of information on this subject are two letters of Pliny, in one of which (ii. 17) he describes his Laurentine villa, in the other (v. 6) his Tuscan, with a few allusions in one of Cicero's letters (ad Quint, iii. 1), and, as a most important illustration of these descriptions, the remains of a suburban villa at Pompeii. (Pompeii, ii. c. 11, Lond. 1832.)

The clearest account is that given by Pliny in the first of the two letters mentioned above, from which, therefore, the following description is for the most part taken.

The villa was approached by an avenue of plane trees leading to a portico, in front of which was a seystus divided into flower-beds by borders of box. This X3rstus formed a terrace, from which a grassy slope, ornamented with box-trees cut into the figures of animals, and forming two lines opposite to one another, descended till it was lost in the plain, which was covered with acanthus. (Plin. v. 6.) Next to the portico was an atrium, smaller and plainer than the corresponding apartment in a town-house. In this respect Pliny's description is

"1197

VILLICUS.

at variance with the rule of Vitruvius ; and the villa at Pompeii also has no atrium. It would appears from Cicero (L c.) that both arrangements were common. Next to the atrium in Pliny's Laurentine villa was a small elliptic peristyle (portions in O literae similitudinem circumactae^ where, however, the readings D and A are also given instead of 0). The intervals between the columns of this peristyle were closed with talc windows (specularibus, see domus, p. 432), and the roof projected considerably, so that it formed an excellent retreat in unfavourable weather. The open space in the centre of this peristyle seems often to have been covered with moss and orna­mented with a fountain. Opposite to the middle of this peristyle was a pleasant cavaediun^ and beyond it an elegant triclinium, standing out from the other buildings, with windows or glazed doors in the front and sides, which thus commanded a view of the grounds and of the surrounding country, while behind there was an uninterrupted view through the cavaedium, peristyle, atrium, and portico into the xystus and the open country bejrond.

Such was the principal suite of apartments in Pliny's Laurentine villa. In the villa at Pompeii the arrangement is somewhat different. The en­trance is in the street of the tombs. The portico leads through a small vestibule into a large square peristyle paved with opus signinum^ and having an impluvium in the centre of its uncovered area. Beyond this is an open hall, resembling in form and position the tablinum in a town-house. Next is a long gallery extending almost across the whole width of the house, and beyond it is a large cyzi-cene oecus, corresponding to the large triclinium in Pliny's villa. This room looks out upon a spacious court, which was no doubt a xystus or garden, and which is surrounded on all sides by a colonnade composed of square pillars, the top of which forms a terrace. In the farthest side of this court is a gate leading out to the open country. As the ground slopes downward considerably from the front to the back of the villa, the terrace just spoken of is on a level with the cyzicene oecus, the windows of which opened upon it; and beneath the oecus itself is a range of apartments on the level of the large court, which were probably used in summer, on account of their coolness.

The other rooms were so arranged as to take advantage of the different seasons and of the sur­rounding scenery. Of these, however, there is only one which requires particular notice, namely, a state bed-chamber, projecting from the other build­ings in an elliptic or semicircular form, so as to admit the sun during its whole course. This apartment is mentioned by Pliny, and is also found in the Pompeian villa. In Pliny's Laurentine villa its wall was fitted up as a library.

The villa contained a set of baths, the general arrangement of which was similar to that of the public baths. [balneae.]

Attached to it were a garden, ambulatio, gcstatlo, liippodromus, sphaeristerium^ and in short all neces­sary arrangements for enjoying different kinds of exercise. [hortus ; gymnasium.]

(Becker, Gallus, vol. i. p. 258 ; Schneider's notes on Columella and Varro, and Gierig's on Pliny, contain many useful remarks.) [P. S.]

VFLLICUS (eirirpoTTos in Greek writers, Plut. Crass. 4), a slave who had the superintendence

Pages
About | First | English Index | Classified Index | Latin Index | Greek Index

1196

1197

1198
letter/word  
page #  
Search this site
Google


ancientlibrary.com
WWW
All non-public domain material, including introductions, markup, and OCR © 2005 Tim Spalding.
Ancient Library was developed and hosted by Tim Spalding of Isidore-of-Seville.com.