The Ancient Library
 

Scanned text contains errors.

On this page: Peregrinus – Pergamene Sculptures

469

PEREGRINUS——PERGAMENE SCULPTURES.

the latter half of the 2nd century B.C. the less important cases began to be treated as offences of maiestas ; and by Caesar's Julian law, 46 B.C., all cases of perduellio were included under this name. (See also maiestas.)

PSrSgrmus. The description in Roman law of all foreigners or persons other than citizens sojourning or domiciled within Roman territory. Originally peregrini were entirely without rights, unless they obtained a patrdnits, except in cases where there was a treaty (foedus) with the State

they were always excluded. (See also civitas.)

Fergameae Sculptures. These sculptures belong to the acropolis of Pergainon in Asia Minor, discovered by the accomplished archi­tect Huinann in 1871, and excavated in and after 1878 under the superintendence of Humann and the distinguished archaeologist Conze, with the assistance of R. Bohn and others. The work was done at the expense of the Prussian government, and the sculp­tures then brought to light are now in the Museum at Berlin. The first rank among

(1) BATTLE OF ZEUS AND THE GIANTS.

'Helief from Pergamon; Berlin Museum.)

I

to which they belonged, regulating the legal position of the subjects of the two States respectively. But the increasing intercourse between Rome and other States, and the consequent growth in the number of peregrini in Rome, made it necessary to grant to all foreigners a definite compe­tency to acquire property, enter into obliga­tions, and the like ; and for the decision of civil suits between foreigners and citizens, or of foreigners among themselves, a special prcntor (ij.v.) was appointed. From the public, private, and sacrificial law of Rome

them is occupied by the remains of the sculpture representing the fight between the gods and the snake-legged Giants, a colossal composition in high relief, which occupied a space 7 ft. 6| ins. high, and extended over the outer surface (about 118 sq. ft. in area) of the upper part of the platform of an altar about 39 ft. high, which was probably built by king EumSnes II (197-159 b.c.). Of this about half remains, whereof a third consists of more or less well-preserved slabs, and the rest of frag­ments large and small. They exhibit an

Pages
About | First | Index

468

469

470
letter/word  
page #  
Search this site
Google


ancientlibrary.com
WWW
All non-public domain material, including introductions, markup, and OCR © 2005 Tim Spalding.