Scanned text contains errors.
many others of the most eminent European scholars. Indeed, the main object of the author has been to give, as far as possible, a complete resume of the History of Greek Literature, and he presents the work as such to the students of his own country, in the earnest hope that it may lead them to a more intimate acquaintance with that noble field of mental culture, from which the literature of the civilized world almost exclusively derives its origin.
The subject of Sacred Literature forms no part of the present work, and only a few, therefore, of the ecclesiastical writers, such as Justin Martyr, Clemens of Alexandrea, and Origen, have been briefly mentioned under the head of the Neo-Platonic school.
The following is a list of the principal works from which materials have been obtained, or which have been consulted in the preparation of the present work:
1. Bopp, Vergleichende Grammatik, &c., Berlin, 4to, 1833, &c.
2. " Comparative Grammar of the Sanscrit, Zend, &c., translated by Eastwick, London, 3 vols. 8vo, 1845-50.
3. Pott, Etymologische Forschungen, Lemgo, 2 vols. 8vo, 1833-36.
4. Marsh, Horse Pelasgicse, Cambridge, 8vo, 1815.
5. Hug, Die Erfindung der Buchstabenschrift, Ulm, 8vo, 1801.
6. Donaldson, New Cratylus, London, 8vo, 2d ed., 1850.
7. Prichard, Researches into the Physical History of Mankind, London, 5 vols. 8vo, 1841-7.
8. Eichhoff, Parallele des Langues de 1'Europe et de 1'Inde, Paris, 4to, 1836.
9. Eichhoff, Vergleichung der Sprachen, &c., von Kaltschmidt, Leipzig, 4to, 1840.
10. Chavee, Lexiologie Indo-Europ6enne, Paris, 8vo, 1849.
11. Winning, Manual of Comparative Philology, London, 8vo, 1838.
12. Pictet, De 1'Affinite des Langues Celtiques avec le Sanscrit, Paris, 8vo, 1827.
13. Dankovszky, Die Griechen als Stamm- und Sprachverwandte der Slawen, Pressburg, 8vo, 1828.
14. Ahrens, De Linguae Graecse Dialectis, Getting., 2 vols. 8vo, 1839-43.
15. Prichard, Eastern Origin of the Celtic Nations, Oxford, 8vo, 1831.
16. Dieffenbach, Celtica, Stuttgart, 2 vols. 8vo, 1839-40.
17. Pococke, India in Greece, London, 8vo, 1852.
18. Latham, The Germania of Tacitus, with Ethnological dissertations and notes, London, 8vo, 1851.